I have some banana facts for you. A bunch of bananas is called a hand, and each banana is called a finger! D'aw. And apparently bananas are slightly radioactive, because of all the potassium. Don't worry, you won't die from it, unless you shoot the potassium directly into your brain. And why would anyone do that?
I don't think I'll ever get sick of banana bread. But I wanted to try a different way to use up all my speckly fruit fingers. Banana...scones? Mm, seems like a lot of work. Banana...pudding? No milk. Banana...cookies!
Banana oatmeal cookies, to be exact. Man are these ever good. And moderately healthy! What's great about this recipe is that it's super adaptable. Mix ins like nuts or chocolate are encouraged, and using applesauce or...more bananas instead of butter makes them vegan. And just using a different kind of flour could potentially make them gluten free. Hooray! Also, the riper your bananas are, the sweeter they get. So you can play around with the amount of sugar as well.
On a side note...I have a new found love for steamed milk. These taste good dipped in it. Nom.
|Bow down to the king of cookie mountain.|
Very Versatile Banana Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from All Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 3/4 cups quick cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Cream together the butter and sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, banana, oatmeal and nuts. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients, mix well and drop by the teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10ish minutes or until edges turn lightly brown. Cool on wire rack. Store in a closed container. You'll get about 36 cookies if you don't burn one tray beyond recognition like I did.